[R-sig-Debian] How to have multiple versions of R on Ubuntu 8.04

Matthieu Stigler matthieu.stigler at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 20:24:51 CET 2009

Dear Michael

Thanks a lot for your quick answer!

Michael Rutter a écrit :
> Matthieu,
>
> Have you tried installing it? We have just updated the versions of R
> on CRAN and maybe the bug the package website mentions have been fixed.

Yes I tried and unfortunately it does not solve the prob:
checking gcc version... 4.2.4
checking for gawk... /usr/bin/awk
checking for inst/npsol/linux/x86/gcc4.2/libnpsol.a... no
configure: error: npsol library not found
ERROR: configuration failed for package ‘OpenMx’

> In order to have multiple version of R installed, you will need to
> build the second version from source. Here are the details:
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-admin.html#Installing-R-under-Unix_002dalikes
>

> You must be very careful to install R in a different location and have
> a different location for the lib files. Read carefully through the
> section of Unix-like systems to see which options you need to set. The
> good news is that you can always reinstall R 2.10 from apt-get or
> synaptic if the versions cross.

Ok, so I need to compile :-( I'll try it, thanks for info!
> Another option to consider is using a virtual machine (I use Virtual
> Box, which is open source) with the needed version of R on it. You can
> share data files between the host and virtual machine, if needed.

Oh also? Mmh this would be something to do, but as I don't have any
knowledge of it I think I'll try first to compile...

Thanks again for help!