[R-sig-Debian] Are there Debian/Ubuntu packages of the betaversions of R-2.9.0

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Apr 5 18:34:46 CEST 2009

On 5 April 2009 at 12:21, Michael Rutter wrote:
| > Would it be reasonable to put the beta version of the source packages
| > (and only the source packages) on the CRAN repository?  That way, the
| > response to those who want to try out the beta test version of the
| > Debian package could be to use
| >
| > wajig build-depend r-base
| > wajig build r-base
| >
| > and it should not, AFAIK, interfere with those who install the binary
| > versions of the package.
|
| I was just thinking that could be a possibility.  We would have to check
| to make sure the stock Debian deb would work under Ubuntu, and make the

I think Doug was thinking about an appropriately patched package. My stock
package is after all in the source archive for Debian (and one can, and I do,
point Ubuntu to Debian sources -- that's how I fetch them when I want them).

| necessary changes in the source deb.  In other words, manually make the
| changes that are in Vincent's scripts (that should not take much work).

And then upload.  That is a nice compromise.

The other would be to create a new section 'experimental'. That may actually
be more work, and/or we may forget to set the tag in the changelog file.