[R-sig-Debian] info files

tyler tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Fri Mar 14 13:25:53 CET 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 02:23:17PM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 13 March 2008 at 15:01, tyler wrote:
> | I'm a little confused as to how Debian deals with texinfo files. The R
> | docs are a good example of my problems, so maybe you folks can explain
> | how this works.
> |
> | What I've noticed is that the texinfo files for R get appended/indexed
> | in /usr/share/info/dir as well as /usr/local/info. This results in
>
> Careful. The Debian package places them in the former location as 'dpkg -L'
> on the package name shows you rather convincingly.  And no Debian package
> will ever touch /usr/local [ apart from creating empty stanza directories
> like /usr/local/lib/R/site-library/ ] ie no files should _ever_ be written
> there.

Thanks! I haven't used dpkg before, that's quite handy. The info files
do indeed only go to one place, and not in /usr/local. What I had
noticed, though, was that more than one dir file had references to the
r-doc-info files. However, on purging and reinstalling r-doc-info, I
no longer have that problem, and can only assume I made the mess
myself and then forgot about it.

> Now, if your question is how to combine entries from packages and from manual
> install -- I don't have a good solution. I think you're own your own.  Maybe
> a system like doc-base can help.
>
> | The fact that I'm running Emacs 22.1.1 installed from sources provided
>
> Yes. Because now you have Debian and non-Debian messing around with your
> texinfo index files. You may have to clean that up yourself.

Alright then. I'll have to come up with a consistent personal policy
then, and hope I remember what it is before I ask for help next time.

Cheers,

Tyler

--
I'm Tyler Smith and I approve of this email.