[R-sig-Debian] info files

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Mar 13 20:23:17 CET 2008

On 13 March 2008 at 15:01, tyler wrote:
| I'm a little confused as to how Debian deals with texinfo files. The R
| docs are a good example of my problems, so maybe you folks can explain
| how this works.
|
| What I've noticed is that the texinfo files for R get appended/indexed
| in /usr/share/info/dir as well as /usr/local/info. This results in

Careful. The Debian package places them in the former location as 'dpkg -L'
on the package name shows you rather convincingly.  And no Debian package
will ever touch /usr/local [ apart from creating empty stanza directories
like /usr/local/lib/R/site-library/ ] ie no files should _ever_ be written
there.

| duplicated entries when I browse the info tree from Emacs. The only
| solutions I can come up with involve personally editing the various
| dir files on my system. This is not a good solution, as it requires
| additional attention whenever I update the docs from the repositories.
| Is there a better way to either set up things at my end, or to deal
| with the way the docs are packaged?

Now, if your question is how to combine entries from packages and from manual
install -- I don't have a good solution. I think you're own your own.  Maybe
a system like doc-base can help.

| The fact that I'm running Emacs 22.1.1 installed from sources provided

Yes. Because now you have Debian and non-Debian messing around with your
texinfo index files. You may have to clean that up yourself.

When I play with newer emacsen. I typically just rebuild the Debian package
from unstable.