[R-sig-Debian] info files

tyler tyler.smith at mail.mcgill.ca
Thu Mar 13 19:01:21 CET 2008

Hi,

I'm a little confused as to how Debian deals with texinfo files. The R
docs are a good example of my problems, so maybe you folks can explain
how this works.

What I've noticed is that the texinfo files for R get appended/indexed
in /usr/share/info/dir as well as /usr/local/info. This results in
duplicated entries when I browse the info tree from Emacs. The only
solutions I can come up with involve personally editing the various
dir files on my system. This is not a good solution, as it requires
additional attention whenever I update the docs from the repositories.
Is there a better way to either set up things at my end, or to deal
with the way the docs are packaged?

The fact that I'm running Emacs 22.1.1 installed from sources provided
upstream may be part of this problem. (I got tired of trying to chase
down what parts of Emacs were Debian-approved, and which were
"non-free" or just plain missing).

Thanks for your continuing efforts!

Tyler

--
Friends don't let friends send Word documents

http://www.nothingisreal.com/dfki/no-word