[R-sig-Debian] Newbie Questions

Michael Dewey info at aghmed.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Jul 26 10:11:11 CEST 2008

At 18:56 25/07/2008, Michael Conklin wrote:

>I have followed the read me file. Forgive my ignorance of Debian but I get
>messages like:
>
>Couldn't stat source package list http://cran.wustl.edu etch-cran/ Packages
>
>which is not particularly helpful to me. In addition the read me file
>instructions "install as usual" are not helpful because I have not installed
>as usual before. :)

Michael, have you also looked at the Wiki entry
http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=getting-started:installation:debian
which describes more or less the same things in a slightly different way?

I also found reading the posts on this list quite
helpful to give some more meat to the skeleton
instructions which, as you say, assume you know
something about Debian. I was trying to install R
on an Asus EEE (and ultimately succeeding) and
like you had very limited knowledge of Linux.