[R-sig-Debian] Newbie Questions

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Fri Jul 25 22:24:57 CEST 2008

Le ven. 25 juil. à 13:56, Michael Conklin a écrit :

> I have followed the read me file.

I meant that mostly for the bottom part of the file, where the
administration of the libraries is explained.

> Forgive my ignorance of Debian but I get messages like:
>
> Couldn't stat source package list http://cran.wustl.edu etch-cran/
> Packages

What is your entry in the /etc/apt/sources.list file? It should be
exactly as explained in the README, including any / (people often tend
to forget the last one).

> which is not particularly helpful to me. In addition the read me
> file instructions "install as usual" are not helpful because I have
> not installed as usual before. :)
>
> Here is a very basic question for debian -- should I type:  apt-get
> install pkgname or aptitude install pkgname. They seem to attempt to
> do the same things but I get different results.

I don't use aptitute, but I think they do the same thing. The latter
is just a front-end to apt-get.

> Thanks for your patience.

No problem, that's what this forum is for!

Vincent