[R-sig-Debian] Newbie Questions

Krzysztof Sakrejda-Leavitt krzysztof.sakrejda at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 13:25:39 CEST 2008

Michael,

I'd like to point out that what you are mentioning is a common Linux
issue with paths.  In your terminal, if you type: "echo $PATH" you will
get an ordered (left first) list separated by ":" which tells you where
your system looks for a command when you type its name in.  If your two
versions are in different directories (say /usr/bin vs. /usr/local/bin),
calling "R" without specifying a directory would get one version.  Your
GNOME menu is probably linked to R in a specific
directory--e.g.-/usr/local/bin/R and that explains the original behavior.

If you _do_ want to use the version you compile, you would first use apt
to uninstall R, and then install the version you compiled.  This might
break the link in the gnome menu if your new installation is in a
different place, but you can change where the menu points... if you run
./configure --help before compiling R you can get the list of options
that lets you decide which directory to put various pieces of the
installation in to mimic the previous installation, but if you are new
to linux that might be a hard start.

Best,

Krzysztof