[R-sig-Debian] again on ubuntu 7.10 and amd64

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Tue Jan 15 22:12:24 CET 2008

[Replying also to Marco Zamboni's message (https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-debian/2007-December/000317.html
) with a similar issue. See https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-debian/2008-January/000324.html
  for the reason for the late and combined reply.]

Le lun. 03 déc. à 18:44, 8rino-Luca Pantani a écrit :

> Hi there,
> this is my first post to the list.
>
> I'm a newcomer to the linux world.
> I started using it on a regular basis on May and I must say I'm quite
> comfortable with it, even if I have to re-learn a lot of things.
>
> But this is not a problem, I will improve my knowledge with time.
>
> My main problem now is that I bought myself a new computer
> (described at
> the end of this e-mail) and I was offered an amd64 on which I
> installed
> ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon.
>
> To install R on it i followed the directions found here
> http://help.nceas.ucsb.edu/index.php/Installing_R_on_Ubuntu
>
> but unfortunately it did not work.
>
> After reading some posts on this list,
> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-debian/2007-October/000253.html
> I immediately realize that an amd64 is not the right processor to make
> life easy.
>
> I'm going to ask the people who sold me the computer if it is possible
> to swap for another motherboard.

Please hold your breath a few days, if not hours, more (if you did so
far) since Michael Rutter has stepped up as maintainer for shiny new
binaries packages of 2.6.1 (and future versions) for the amd64
architecture. Michael and I are fixing the last little details and the
packages should make their way to CRAN very soon. Please monitor the
Ubuntu README file at

	http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/

Best,

Vincent