[R-sig-Debian] trouble installing building packages from source using R 2.6.0 on Ubuntu Gutsy AMD64

Mark W Kimpel mwkimpel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 16:26:33 CET 2007

I have recently upgraded to Ubuntu Gutsy and, for the first time, am
using a 64-bit installation. After failing miserably to install R from
source, not a problem for me in the past with a 32-bit install, I went
the route of using the Debian Etch build. This went smoothly, but I am
unable to update my numerous R and BioConductor packages, getting
non-zero exit status errors on each package. Is there a repository of
pre-built packages for Debian Etch 64 besides the r-base and
r-recommended? If not, could someone suggest how I might get things
working installing from source?

I have installed the ia32 library, which did help me build VMWare, but
did not help with R. Reading the R-admin manual, there are some
suggested compiler flags, but I don't know how to enter them as I am a
relative new-comer to Linux.

Thanks so much,
Mark

---

Mark W. Kimpel MD  ** Neuroinformatics ** Dept. of Psychiatry
Indiana University School of Medicine

15032 Hunter Court, Westfield, IN  46074

(317) 490-5129 Work, & Mobile & VoiceMail
(317) 663-0513 Home (no voice mail please)