[R-sig-Debian] kvoptions.sty

Paul Gilbert pgilbert at bank-banque-canada.ca
Mon Dec 29 20:33:56 CET 2008

Dirk

Thanks, texlive-latex-recommended seems to have fixed the problem.

On your "lastly"  below, I had installed r-base-dev to help with other
dependencies I had trouble with earlier, and it did install r-base-core
(but surprisingly not r-base), but my r-base-core does not depend on
texlive-latex-recommended.  I am using Synaptic on Ubuntu, and it shows
the r-base-dev version as 2.7.1-2. I assume the problem is that this is
  old.  Do you know how I get Synaptic to find a newer version? I don't
really want the latest everything, just R.

Thanks,
Paul

Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> On 29 December 2008 at 11:12, Paul Gilbert wrote:
> | On an new install of Ubuntu 8.10 64bit, I am having trouble with make
> | check-all  checking package 'survival' and elsewhere:
> |
> | l.100 \fontencoding\encodingdefault\selectfont
> | ! LaTeX Error: File `kvoptions.sty' not found.
> |
> | Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed,
> | or enter new name. (Default extension: sty)
> |
> | ! Emergency stop.
> | <read *>
> |          l.2231 \RequirePackage{kvoptions}[2006/08/17]
> |                                              ^^M
> | !  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produce
> |
> | Does anyone know in what Ubuntu/Debian package I should find this sty
> | file? Based on a google search I thought it might be in whizzytex, but
> | no luck.
>
> edd at ron:~/src/debian/CRAN/sn-0.4-10$ locate kvoptions.sty
> /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/oberdiek/kvoptions.sty
> edd at ron:~/src/debian/CRAN/sn-0.4-10$ dpkg -S /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/oberdiek/kvoptions.sty
> texlive-latex-recommended: /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/oberdiek/kvoptions.sty
> edd at ron:~/src/debian/CRAN/sn-0.4-10$
>

> So it looks like texlive-latex-recommended is what you need here.  I have
> also been frustrated at times by the dispersed natur eof the texlive
> packages.  'wajig search texlive | less' and manually looking helps on
> occassions.   Fifteen years ago I always kept a local copy of the 'overall
> file index' of all files in all Debian packages by I don't know if that file
> still exists at the web or ftpsite.  You do have the ability to search for
> files here:
>
>       http://packages.debian.org   aka         http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
>
> where you can scroll down to 'search contents of packages' (and make sure you
> select unstable or testing) leading to (for this query)
>
>       http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=kvoptions.sty&mode=exactfilename&suite=unstable&arch=any
>

> It also mentions the more general shortcut
>
>       http://packages.debian.org/file:path for the search for paths ending in the keyword.
>
> Lastly, you can always peek into the build-deps of packages.  r-base-core
> currently has
>
>        Build-Depends: gcc (>= 4:4.1.0), g++ (>= 4:4.1.0), gfortran (>=
>        4:4.1.0), libblas-dev, liblapack-dev (>= 3.1.1), tcl8.5-dev,
>        tk8.5-dev, bison, groff-base, libncurses5-dev, libreadline5-dev,
>        debhelper (>= 5.0.0), texi2html, texinfo (>= 4.1-2), libbz2-dev,
>        libpcre3-dev, xpdf-reader, zlib1g-dev, libpng12-dev, libjpeg62-dev,
>        libx11-dev, libxt-dev, x11proto-core-dev, libpango1.0-dev,
>        libcairo2-dev, libtiff4-dev, xvfb, xauth, xfonts-base, texlive-base,
>        texlive-latex-base, texlive-generic-recommended,
>        texlive-fonts-recommended, texlive-extra-utils,
>        texlive-latex-recommended, texlive-latex-extra, texinfo, texi2html,
>        openjdk-6-jdk [!arm !hppa]
>
> which contains a healthy set of texlive packages.
>
> Hth, Dirk

La version française suit le texte anglais.