[R-sig-Debian] kvoptions.sty

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Dec 29 17:40:02 CET 2008

Hi Paul,

On 29 December 2008 at 11:12, Paul Gilbert wrote:
| On an new install of Ubuntu 8.10 64bit, I am having trouble with make
| check-all  checking package 'survival' and elsewhere:
|
| l.100 \fontencoding\encodingdefault\selectfont
| ! LaTeX Error: File `kvoptions.sty' not found.
|
| Type X to quit or <RETURN> to proceed,
| or enter new name. (Default extension: sty)
|
| ! Emergency stop.
| <read *>
|          l.2231 \RequirePackage{kvoptions}[2006/08/17]
|                                              ^^M
| !  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produce
|
| Does anyone know in what Ubuntu/Debian package I should find this sty
| file? Based on a google search I thought it might be in whizzytex, but
| no luck.

edd at ron:~/src/debian/CRAN/sn-0.4-10$ locate kvoptions.sty
/usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/oberdiek/kvoptions.sty
edd at ron:~/src/debian/CRAN/sn-0.4-10$ dpkg -S /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/oberdiek/kvoptions.sty
texlive-latex-recommended: /usr/share/texmf-texlive/tex/latex/oberdiek/kvoptions.sty
edd at ron:~/src/debian/CRAN/sn-0.4-10$

So it looks like texlive-latex-recommended is what you need here.  I have
also been frustrated at times by the dispersed natur eof the texlive
packages.  'wajig search texlive | less' and manually looking helps on
occassions.   Fifteen years ago I always kept a local copy of the 'overall
file index' of all files in all Debian packages by I don't know if that file
still exists at the web or ftpsite.  You do have the ability to search for
files here:

      http://packages.debian.org   aka         http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages

where you can scroll down to 'search contents of packages' (and make sure you
select unstable or testing) leading to (for this query)

      http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=contents&keywords=kvoptions.sty&mode=exactfilename&suite=unstable&arch=any

It also mentions the more general shortcut

      http://packages.debian.org/file:path for the search for paths ending in the keyword.

Lastly, you can always peek into the build-deps of packages.  r-base-core
currently has

       Build-Depends: gcc (>= 4:4.1.0), g++ (>= 4:4.1.0), gfortran (>=
       4:4.1.0), libblas-dev, liblapack-dev (>= 3.1.1), tcl8.5-dev,
       tk8.5-dev, bison, groff-base, libncurses5-dev, libreadline5-dev,
       debhelper (>= 5.0.0), texi2html, texinfo (>= 4.1-2), libbz2-dev,
       libpcre3-dev, xpdf-reader, zlib1g-dev, libpng12-dev, libjpeg62-dev,
       libx11-dev, libxt-dev, x11proto-core-dev, libpango1.0-dev,
       libcairo2-dev, libtiff4-dev, xvfb, xauth, xfonts-base, texlive-base,
       texlive-latex-base, texlive-generic-recommended,
       texlive-fonts-recommended, texlive-extra-utils,
       texlive-latex-recommended, texlive-latex-extra, texinfo, texi2html,
       openjdk-6-jdk [!arm !hppa]

which contains a healthy set of texlive packages.

Hth, Dirk