[R-sig-Debian] Ubuntu 8.10: Package installation fails (lf77blas problem)

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Mon Dec 8 20:49:20 CET 2008

Le lun. 08 déc. à 11:17, Dirk Eddelbuettel a écrit :

> On 8 December 2008 at 10:54, Vincent Goulet wrote:
> | >   edd at joe:~$ grep blas /etc/R/Makeconf
> | >   BLAS_LIBS = -lf77blas -latlas
> | >   edd at ron:~$
> | >
> | > which is what you have, and which may have gotten there by
> accident.
> |
> | Same here (obviously) on the build system. It seems to be because I
> | have libatlas-base-dev installed. I rebuilt without the package and
> | now /etc/R/Makeconf has "BLAS_LIBS = -lblas". Should I provide an
> | updated binary?
>
> Might be good as we otherwise force Atlas down onto everybody
> compiling
> Fortran.  It should really be just -lblas -- which work with and
> without
> Atlas.

Done. Version 2.8.0-1intrepid1 On its way to CRAN now.

> Two questions though:
>
> 1) Should we enforce this as Build-Conflicts: in debian/control ?

I'm not sure I'd go as far, especially given it's not a "conflict" per
se. This would be inconvenient for, say, the person building the
packages by hand and who knows full well what he/she is doing.

I'd rather say: let's be careful in the future...

> 2) Related to 1, I still do not understand who this happened on the
> MIPS
> machines breaking the Debian builds (currently two Rmetrics packages
> with
> Fortran fail because of this).  There will be a new R package around
> Dec 22
> so that should shake things up.

Sorry, can't comment on this one.

Vincent