[R-sig-Debian] Ubuntu 8.10: Package installation fails (lf77blas problem)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Dec 8 17:17:22 CET 2008

On 8 December 2008 at 10:54, Vincent Goulet wrote:
| >   edd at joe:~$ grep blas /etc/R/Makeconf
| >   BLAS_LIBS = -lf77blas -latlas
| >   edd at ron:~$
| >
| > which is what you have, and which may have gotten there by accident.
|
| Same here (obviously) on the build system. It seems to be because I
| have libatlas-base-dev installed. I rebuilt without the package and
| now /etc/R/Makeconf has "BLAS_LIBS = -lblas". Should I provide an
| updated binary?

Might be good as we otherwise force Atlas down onto everybody compiling
Fortran.  It should really be just -lblas -- which work with and without
Atlas.

Two questions though:

1) Should we enforce this as Build-Conflicts: in debian/control ?

2) Related to 1, I still do not understand who this happened on the MIPS
machines breaking the Debian builds (currently two Rmetrics packages with
Fortran fail because of this).  There will be a new R package around Dec 22
so that should shake things up.