[R-sig-Debian] Problem installing some packages on Ubuntu 7.10

Brian Lunergan ff809 at ncf.ca
Tue Apr 29 02:42:22 CEST 2008

Evening all:

Recently moved over to Ubuntu 7.10. Installed version 2.7.0 of R from
the U of T site in Ontario, Canada. Working on installing Rcmdr as my
GUI of choice (yes, I know lots of you probably prefer an emacs/ess
combination but give me a break. It's what I was comfortable with using
R under XP). For the most part the installs have gone well in a regular
terminal window using sudo R or just R in a root terminal window, but
some of the packages just don't seem to be going quietly.

I could use some advice as to what I might need to add to my setup or
correct to get things to install. I'll deal with them one at a time so I
can follow through on any suggestions offered before moving on to the
next troublemaker. There are six involved, some of them being key
players in the desired setup. First up is XML. I've included everything
install.package() spit out to avoid confusion. My apologies if it's TOO
much, but I'm no programmer so I didn't want to error by cutting
something out that might have turned out to be useful.

 > install.packages("XML",dependencies=TRUE)
Warning in install.packages("XML", dependencies = TRUE) :
  argument 'lib' is missing: using '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library'
--- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
trying URL 'http://probability.ca/cran/src/contrib/XML_1.93-2.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-tar' length 870234 bytes (849 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 849 Kb

* Installing *source* package 'XML' ...
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for sed... /bin/sed
checking for xml2-config... no
Cannot find xml2-config
ERROR: configuration failed for package 'XML'
** Removing '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/XML'

The downloaded packages are in
        /tmp/RtmpRMfnUs/downloaded_packages
Warning message:
In install.packages("XML", dependencies = TRUE) :
  installation of package 'XML' had non-zero exit status

--

Brian Lunergan
Nepean, Ontario