[R-sig-Debian] separate window for help/newbie

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Nov 13 18:47:29 CET 2007

On 13 November 2007 at 19:26, Adrian Dusa wrote:
| However, it still does not seem to work for me :(
[...]
| Then I created .Rprofile (in both /usr/lib/R/etc/ and /etc/R/) with

( Redundant, should be the same file by virtue of symbolic links. )

| options("pager"="kfmclient newTab")
|
| but still the same result.
| It is like Konqueror doesn't know where to look for the help files, so it only
| displays my home folder instead.
|
| The strange thing is, even though I modified both Renviron and .Rprofile, when
| starting R the option for pager looks like:
| > options("pager")
| $pager
| [1] "/usr/lib/R/bin/pager"
|
| This feature seems to be useful and I'd like to enable it. Should I check
| anything else in the configuration file?

As per   help(Startup)   the site-global file is Rprofile.site, not
.Rprofile.

Also note how it tells you

	 do not change '$R_HOME/etc/Renviron' itself

Renviron is, AFAIK, a reflection of compile-time settings.

Things have always worked fine for me with the either the ~/.Rprofile and
~/.Renviron files, or their *.site variants below /etc.

Hope this helps,  Dirk