[R-sig-Debian] separate window for help/newbie

Adrian Dusa dusa.adrian at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 18:26:01 CET 2007

On Tuesday 13 November 2007, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> I suspect you misunderstood this:  "browser" is for the web browser, and
> only affects help.start() et al.  What you are looking for is
>
>         options("pager")
>
> as that is used to 'page' the help output.  And I just tried this, so if
> you do
>
>         options("pager"="kfmclient newTab")

Ah-haa... thanks for this.
However, it still does not seem to work for me :(

I changed in Renviron, from
PAGER=${PAGER-'/usr/bin/pager'}
PAGER=${PAGER-'kfmclient newTab'}

All I get when typing for example ?plot is a new Konqueror window with my home
folder.

Then I created .Rprofile (in both /usr/lib/R/etc/ and /etc/R/) with
options("pager"="kfmclient newTab")

but still the same result.
It is like Konqueror doesn't know where to look for the help files, so it only
displays my home folder instead.

The strange thing is, even though I modified both Renviron and .Rprofile, when
starting R the option for pager looks like:
> options("pager")
$pager
[1] "/usr/lib/R/bin/pager"

This feature seems to be useful and I'd like to enable it. Should I check
anything else in the configuration file?

Thanks in advance,
Adrian

--
Adrian Dusa