[R-sig-Debian] X11 headers/libs

Johannes Ranke jranke at uni-bremen.de
Fri Dec 14 05:54:48 CET 2007

* Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> [071213 16:30]:

> On 13 December 2007 at 08:40, Paul Gilbert wrote:
> | I need to be able to build my packages and build R-devel to test them,
>
> I have been wondering for some time if / how we could provide 'r-devel' as a
> deb for those interested.
>
> But I am not sure how to do it well from a technical standpoint.  It probably
> makes less sense to be as fine-grained as the 'release' version of R is with
> its 10 packages.  One quick and easy way would be to just configure with a
> prefix of /usr/lib/r-devel and install the R frontend as Rdevel.
>
> Is there a feeling in the esteemed audience that this would be a good thing?
> How often would you want to see this updated?  Monthly?  How would we stop it
> from going to Debian testing (and possibly be 'older' than a released R in
> unstable) ?  Keep to Debian 'experimental' ?

As these packages would not be meant to migrate to testing, it seems to
me experimental would be the right place. But I don't think I have a
need for them, as far as I can think now.

Johannes

> Are there better suggestions about how to do this?
>
> Cheers, Dirk
>
> --
> Three out of two people have difficulties with fractions.

Dr. Johannes Ranke                 jranke at uni-bremen.de     Key ID: F649AF90
UFT Bremen, Leobenerstr. 1         +49 421 218 63373
D-28359 Bremen                     http://www.uft.uni-bremen.de/chemie/ranke