[R-sig-Debian] X11 headers/libs

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Dec 13 02:12:03 CET 2007

Hi Paul,

Welcome to R-SIG-Debian :-)

On 12 December 2007 at 18:17, Paul Gilbert wrote:
| I'm trying to build R from source on Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon. I've done
| apt-get install r-base-dev and  apt-get libX11-dev,  but R configure is

You're close: 'r-base-dev' gives you (about) everything to run
'install.package()' once you have R; libX11-dev ought to give you everything
but somehow doesn't so ...

| still complaining about X11 headers/libs are not available.  What else
| do I need?

..  use the 'apt-get build-dep $package' command, ie

	$ sudo apt-get build-dep r-base

which will pull in this list (as per the current Debian unstable package):

Build-Depends: gcc (>= 4:4.1.0), g++ (>= 4:4.1.0), gfortran (>= 4:4.1.0), refblas3-dev | atlas3-base-dev, tcl8.4-dev, tk8.4-dev, bison, groff-base, libncurses5-dev, libreadline5-dev, debhelper (>= 5.0.0), texi2html, texinfo (>= 4.1-2), libbz2-dev, libpcre3-dev, tetex-bin, tetex-extra, xpdf-reader, zlib1g-dev, libpng12-dev, libjpeg62-dev, libx11-dev, libxt-dev, x-dev

So in this particular case, libxt-dev and x-dev were still missing.

'apt-get build-dep $foo' is really convenient. Try 'apt-get source $foo' as
well to get sources (if you have entries like

	deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free

I use that all the time to fetch Debian sources onto Ubuntu machines at
work.  It may at times conflict with what packages Ubuntu has, or what names
they used -- but for R and one or two dozen other Debian packages it has
always been useful for me on Ubuntu too.

Cheers, Dirk