[R-sig-Debian] Problems with package foreign (r-cran-foreign)

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Oct 12 14:12:02 CEST 2006

On 12 October 2006 at 13:02, Gregor Gorjanc wrote:
| Hello!
|
| I encounter the following problem when I try to load package foreign
|
| library(foreign)
| Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
| 	unable to load shared library '/usr/lib/R/library/foreign/libs/foreign.so':
|   /usr/lib/R/library/foreign/libs/foreign.so: undefined symbol:
| Rf_allocString
| Error: package/namespace load failed for 'foreign'
|
| I have installed R as deb packages and I get above behaviour in 2.4.0-1.
|  I have tried to reinstall r-cran-foreign but got the same behaviour.
| However, if I install package foreign via install.packages() there is no
| such problem. CRAN version of package is 0.8-17, while r-cran-foreign is
| 0.8-15 and it seems that it needs to be updated.

Yes, please see http://bugs.debian.org/392084

I forgot to actually upload foreign, but that has been done now. Tip: install
the devscripts package and try

$ rmadison foreign		# shows source pkg
$ rmadison r-cran-foreign	# shows binary per arch.

Also, too many packages in testing depend on R 2.4.0 --- so you may want R
2.4.0 from testing.  I'm CCing r-sig-debian as a heads up.

Thanks for the report,  Dirk