[R-sig-Debian] pinning R packages to unstable?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Oct 11 23:35:28 CEST 2006

On 11 October 2006 at 23:35, Markus Jäntti wrote:
| Sebastian P. Luque wrote:
| > Dear Debian R users,
| >
| > This is more of an apt question rather than R.  I have a testing Debian
| > system, but would like to use the unstable packages for R, *without* using
| > the -t flag in apt-get.  I think this is done by using a 'pin' rule in
| > /etc/apt/apt.conf, but don't understand how this should be done.  Can
| > somebody provide an example please?
|
| See section 3.10 in
|
| http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html

For some bizarre reason that web version is older than both the apt-howto-en
versions in testing and unstable, neither one of which still contains that
subsection you mention.

The key would be to derive a regexp for all CRAN packages. Simply using

Package: r-cran-*
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 900

in /etc/apt/prefences does not do the trick.

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison