[R-sig-Debian] levelplot

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Apr 18 23:44:35 CEST 2006

On 18 April 2006 at 16:23, deepayan at cs.wisc.edu wrote:

| > I'm running debian unstable, and have been happy with the packages
| > that Dirk provides for unstable so far. update.packages() doesn't seem to
| > update lattice to 0.13.
|
| It's in a special directory (because it's not compatible with R 2.2) that
| update.packages doesn't know about (I think).

Ahh. And while Dirk checks daily, he only checks in $CRAN/src/contrib and
doesn't see it there.  And I just checked via update.packages() in the R
2.3.0 snapshot I am running -- Version 2.3.0 beta (2006-04-14 r37779) -- and
that doesn't point to the subdir either.

So that's a bug, but more on the human interaction side between Deepayan,
CRAN and me :)

Seriously, with the versioned Depends: we can easily produce versions of
packages that depends on the upcoming-but-already-in-Debian releases.  But
someone needs to tell me ....

| > Perhaps email to r-sig-debian?
|
| Sounds like the proper way to go, so I'm CC-ing.
|
| I realise that this is a tricky situation: there are multiple copies of
| recommended packages, one set that goes with an R release and another that
| gets updated more or less independently. I'm not sure what the best
| strategy would be from the Debian packaging perspective (perhaps looking
| in both places and choosing the one with higher version number but still
| compatible with the corresponding R version).

I am sure we can work something out.  Generally speaking, I am happy with the
general policy of 'Debian has the most recent R release in unstable, and
hence almost always also in testing' and helping R Core with pre-release in
Debian unstable prior to a new release. The prereleases never make it to
testing -- by ensuring I replace them frequently enough.

This seems to server most of us well.  We can, I think, augment this with
updates of r-recommended in unstable as well.  All we need is proper Depends
a la     Depends: r-base-core (>> 2.2.1)   which would ensure that the
package cannot slip into testing as testing has R 2.2.1 -- whereas unstable
has what I currently call 2.2.1.svn$SVNRELEASE where $SVNRELEASE is the
five-digit number.

Does this make sense?

Dirk

| Deepayan
|
| > --
| > Edzer

| >> Well, the lattice version should be 0.13-something. Depending on how you
| >> got the R 2.3.0 sources, you may need to run ./tools/rsync-recommended.
| >> Can you check with that? I don't see any problem in my installation.
| >>
| >> Deepayan

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison