[R-sig-DB] Trouble Installing RODBC on Mavericks

Marc Schwartz m@rc_@chw@rtz @end|ng |rom me@com
Mon Apr 14 20:16:14 CEST 2014

On Apr 14, 2014, at 12:52 PM, Joran Elias <joran.elias using gmail.com> wrote:

> I just (finally) upgraded to Mavericks, and I'm having some trouble with
> RODBC.
>
> Once the Mavericks update was done, I upgraded R to 3.1.0, and began
> reinstalling packages.
>
> For RODBC, I got the message that it was unavailable as a binary, only as
> source. When I try to install as source, the compilation fails with missing
> headers:
>
> configure: error: "ODBC headers sql.h and sqlext.h not found"
>
> I do have the up to date Actual Technologies ODBC drivers installed, so I'm
> not sure what else I'm missing.
>
> Additionally, when I download the the OS X binary directly and install it
> locally, it installs, but segfaults anytime I try to create a connection.
>
> Any suggestions?

You must have installed the Mavericks binary of R 3.1.0 for OSX, which is a logical thing to do.

Not all CRAN packages are yet available for that version. You can install the Snow Leopard binary release of 3.1.0 instead and RODBC is available for that version.

Regards,

Marc Schwartz