[R-sig-DB] New maintainer for DBI package

Hadley Wickham h@w|ckh@m @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Oct 18 16:36:20 CEST 2013

Yes, I'll tackle escaping in a separate post - it's an important
topic, and the approach DBI currently takes is suboptimal.

Hadley

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 10:23 PM, NISHIYAMA Tomoaki
<tomoakin using staff.kanazawa-u.ac.jp> wrote:
> Dear Hadley,
>
> Nice to hear that you will take care of DBI.
> We all appreciate that.
>
> For standardization, schema would be an important topic. I have
> sometimes been asked for.
>
> For identifier escaping, RPostgreSQL implements
>   postgresqlQuoteId,
>   postgresqlTableRef
>
> Another function to escape a string, not identifier is also provided
>   postgresqlEscapeStrings,
>
> Best regards,
> --
> Tomoaki NISHIYAMA
>
> Advanced Science Research Center,
> Kanazawa University,
> 13-1 Takara-machi,
> Kanazawa, 920-0934, Japan
>

> On 2013/10/18, at 12:08, Hadley Wickham wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> This is just a quick note to let you know that I've taken over the
>> maintainership of the DBI package, and it has a new home at
>> https://github.com/rstats-db/dbi
>>
>> I'll be using the mailing list as a venue to discuss some changes I'd
>> like to make to DBI. The goal is to make the minimal set of changes in
>> order to:
>>
>> * add new generics currently defined by individual packages (e.g.
>> dbApply, dbBeginTransaction, dbSendPreparedQuery)
>>
>> * rationalise escaping, moving from the current blacklist based
>> system, to one where every identifier is escaped automatically using
>> the rules of the host database
>>
>> * start developing a common test suite that can be applied to any
>> package the implements the DBI package.
>>
>> I'll start some discussions on these topics next week, but please also
>> feel free to comment on any of the smaller issues listed at
>> https://github.com/rstats-db/DBI/issues
>>
>> Hadley
>>
>> --
>> Chief Scientist, RStudio