[R-sig-DB] dbWriteTable of RPostgreSQL can't insert data into PostgreSQL Server.

Prof Brian Ripley r|p|ey @end|ng |rom @t@t@@ox@@c@uk
Sun Feb 6 10:15:51 CET 2011

On Sun, 6 Feb 2011, Tomoaki NISHIYAMA wrote:

> Thanks Brian,
>
>> That is simply wrong.  fileEncoding is a convenience for those too
>> intellectually challenged to be able to use a file() connection,
>> something which was always supported.
>

> While I have not found the right document yet,
> do you mean that by 2.12 one more line was required for setting encoding,
> and as of 2.13, it becomes just one more argument?

You forgot to close the connection.

> in old style:
> fc <- file('filename', encoding='UTF-8')
> write.table(data.frame, file=fc,...)
>
> new style:
> write.table(data.frame, file='filename', fileEncoding='UTF-8',...)
>
> I actually noticed "All of these functions can write to a connection which
> allows an encoding to be specified for the file,"
> but unfortunately it was not linked to any place, and finding the
> way to do it required more searches.

Connections are a basic part of R (e.g. in the R Data Import/Export
manual).  Why do you expect there to be links to basic concepts?

--
Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley using stats.ox.ac.uk