[R-sig-DB] dbWriteTable of RPostgreSQL can't insert data into PostgreSQL Server.

Tomoaki NISHIYAMA tomo@k|n @end|ng |rom kenroku@k@n@z@w@-u@@c@jp
Sun Feb 6 11:35:31 CET 2011

Hi,

> You forgot to close the connection.
Thanks again.

> Connections are a basic part of R (e.g. in the R Data Import/Export
> manual).
> Why do you expect there to be links to basic concepts?

In that manual the encoding argument is not explained.
So, I didn't understand how to set/change the encoding.
Argument name was found from
http://svn.r-project.org/R/trunk/src/library/base/R/connections.R

Google search with connection encoding site:r-project.org
selects this source as the top.
The other interesting one is
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/base/old/2.1.0/NEWS.rw2010

Surely its best explained in The R Reference Index.
What is unfortunate is that it is only in a single large PDF file,
thus google does not tell the best place to look into.

help(file)
and
help(connections)
is also nice. Perhaps the best way was to do this first.
Admittedly, this ought to be a basic way than ask google...
Unfortunately help(encoding) gets "No documentation for 'encoding'",
though.

I really think these documents are great compilation.
But its even better if the same contents are published as HTML,
so that more free (not knowing the exact key) search with
google is possible.
Its perhaps best if there is a HTML page for each entry of the help,
like
PostgreSQL....

--
Tomoaki NISHIYAMA