[R-sig-DB] Postgresql Options for Mac OS X

Neil Tiffin ne||t @end|ng |rom ne||t||||n@com
Tue May 12 00:18:30 CEST 2009

In trying to figure out how the best way to access a postgresql
database from R on Mac OS X. Currently my database has 88 million rows
(9 GB) and is growing so I am looking for a stable interface.  The
following options seem to be available:

1. RdbiPgSQL_1.18.1
2. RPostgreSQL_0.1-4
3. TSPostgreSQL_2009.3-2

These packages seemed to be obsolete and no longer supported/
recommended:

4. RPgSQL 1.0
5. Rdbi 0.1.2

Results
======
#1 relies on #5 and has an older connection syntax.
#2 appears relatively new and has not reached 1.0 status yet.  For
someone used to libpq the interface is very familiar.
#3 relies on #2 and not sure what it adds as the docs did not install
correctly, nor are they accessible from CRAN.
All 3 packages compiled and installed on Mac OS X even though #2 and
#3 reported failures in CRAN.
Have not tried to actually use them yet.

Conclusion
=========
Use #2 even though it does not seem very mature.

Questions
========
Is this a good summary of the state of accessing postgresql from R or
have I missed something?

Is RPostgreSQL being used anyplace and is it stable?

Neil
Chicago