[R-sig-DB] Connection with MySQL usin RMySQL package

Prof Brian Ripley r|p|ey @end|ng |rom @t@t@@ox@@c@uk
Mon Feb 23 07:44:31 CET 2009

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009, Jim Burke wrote:

> Everyone,
>
> Two things that might help. First the version of your computer when
> connecting. Second how to connect. Also I do not think that MYSQL 5.1 will
> work with R at as of today 22.02.2009.

I certainly does.  But the R Windows binary on CRAN was compiled
agiant MySQL 5.0.x, and so you need to compile RySQ from the sources.

See the arhives of this lists, R-help ....

> MY PC VERSIONS THAT **DID NOT WORK** ARE BELOW
>
> OPERATING SYSTEM INFORMATION
> ----------------------------
> OS..........: Win XP sp3
> R...........: 2.8.1
> RMySQL.dll..: 0.7-3
> MYSQL.......: 5.31  (problem, has new version of libmySQL.dll that does not
> work in R yet).

There is no such version. and you have been told so before.
Presumably you mean 5.1.31.

> libmySQL.dll: 1/23/2009 3:45am
>
> My SOLUTION from Jeffrey Horner was to roll back to MYSQL 5.0 which worked
> just fine. Be sure to export your databases and tables using something like
> Navicat 8.0 first.
>

> HOW TO CONNECT.
>
> 0. Your invalid memory sequence rather sounds like your current session
> system memory is messed up. REBOOT YOUR PC then try the following.
>
> 1. You probably do not need this since you have 5.0 already. But just in case
> you could load MYSQL 5.0 found here (from Jeffry Horner). If you have MYSQL
> 5.1 installed, the MYSQL 5.0 install will complain about already having a
> mysql service running. So this means that MYSQL 5.1 needs to be removed
> before installing MYSQL 5.0 (save your databases first).
> http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.0.html
>
> 2. MY SQL 5.0 installation instructions. These are very helpful and saved me
> lots of trouble.
>
> 2A.  You might want to "REMOVE INSTANCE" of your current 5.0 settings in the
> MYSQL Server Instance Configuration Wizard. Then establish a new one with the
> instructions below. Note the mysql 5.0 setup wants a root password. That is
> what it is requesting but it does not quit tell you. So type in a simple
> password for root. Then when you connect its account root and password
> simple.
>
> 2B. Set up MYSQL 5.0
> http://www.iis-aid.com/articles/how_to_guides/install_and_configure_mysql_5_on_windows?page=0%2C0
>
> R SQL call examples.
> http://www.phaget4.org/R/R_notes.html
>
> Hope this helps,
> Jim Burke
>

> Christophe Dutang wrote:
>> I think there is problem of compatibility between the MySQL version  5.0
>> and RMySQL. I think you should use MySQL 5.1. Take a look to
>> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-db/2008q4/000520.html
>>

>> Le 22 févr. 09 à 12:57, Khalid Iqbal a écrit :
>>

>>> R v 2.8.1
>>> RMySQL v 0.7-3
>>> MySQL v 5.0
>>>
>>> On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Christophe Dutang  <dutangc using gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>> Give us information about your configuration the R version, the  version
>>> of RMySQL, the version of MySQL...
>>>
>>> Le 22 févr. 09 à 12:08, Khalid Iqbal a écrit :
>>>
>>> hi,
>>> i am new to R environment. I tried connecting to MySQL databases,  but it
>>> is
>>> not getting connected. I am using Windows XP. I got this when i  tried to
>>> incude RMySQL library.
>>>
>>> library(RMySQL)
>>> Error in inDL(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now), ...) :
>>>  unable to load shared library
>>> 'C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-28~1.1/library/RMySQL/libs/RMySQL.dll':
>>>  LoadLibrary failure:  Invalid access to memory location.
>>>
>>> Error : .onLoad failed in 'loadNamespace' for 'RMySQL'
>>> Error: package/namespace load failed for 'RMySQL'

> [...]

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley using stats.ox.ac.uk