[R-sig-DB] RMySQL release candidate 0-7.0

Jeffrey Horner je||@horner @end|ng |rom v@nderb||t@edu
Thu Nov 13 22:57:04 CET 2008

Hi,

I'm the new maintainer for RMySQL and I have a new release candidate for
everyone to test. Please download the source or the binary here:

http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/twiki/pub/Main/JeffreyHorner/RMySQL_0.7-0.tar.gz
http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/twiki/pub/Main/JeffreyHorner/RMySQL_0.7-0.zip

Issues related to memory leaks in dbConnect() and friends have been
addressed, and the long-standing \r issue for dbWriteTable() has been
addressed. Please provide feedback on these if you can.

Also, I'd like the windows/R developer community to provide some
feedback on the points below regarding how I've changed the build process:

1.a For previous RMySQL releases, there had been some incantations with
reimp (utility in mingw NOT distributed in the latest Rtools.exe [not
that it needs to be either]) and dlltool to create an appropriate
libmysql.a library to link against. For 0.6-1 and 0.7-0 I could not get
this to work. Instead, I chose to place the path to libmysql.lib right
into the PKG_LIBS variable. For instance, this is my Makevars.win after
an R CMD INSTALL:

PKG_CPPFLAGS = -Ic:/PROGRA~1/MYSQL/MYSQLS~1.1/include
PKG_LIBS = c:/PROGRA~1/MYSQL/MYSQLS~1.1/lib/opt/libmysql.lib

1.b In addition, binary releases up to and including 0.6-1 installed
libmysql.lib and libmysq.dll into the package lib directory, while only
the dll is installed for 0.7-0; the lib simply was not needed.

2. Previous RMySQL releases had the installer edit both configure.win
and Makevars.win with appropriate paths. I've changed this so that the
install only needs to set the env var MYSQL_HOME to an appropriate
value, and if one is not provided, a default is chosen. Should a default
be chosen or should configure.win fail?

TIA,

Jeff
--