[R-sig-DB] [R] RMySQL crashes R

Krzysztof Sakrejda krzy@zto|@@@krejd@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Jan 23 11:31:17 CET 2009

Hi,

I've had great experiences with the RMySQL library and MySQL from windows XP
and Gentoo/Linux environments with R-2.7.2 so I'm happy to test solutions or
to try to find out more about the problem.  I've (unfortunately) had the
same (previous report appended) experience with a new install of Vista on a
Vaio/VGN-NS255J laptop, running R (I checked 2.7.2 and 2.8 both exhibit the
same behavior).  My MySQL binaries are from a fresh install of MySQL server
(32bit) 5.1. The MySQL server is separate and plays well with other
Windows/Linux R installations.

The download/install is clean, I can connect and run dbGetQuery(conn, "SHOW
TABLES;") at least a few times, but when I run a query against any table,
even one which returns limited data (conn, "SELECT * FROM blah LIMIT 6;")
Vista says "there has been a problem with R and it needs to close"
(paraphrased).  The message is completely uninformative.  It then proceeds
to close R with no further comment.  I will let you know if I find any more
information but I don't know if there are better error logs somewhere on
Vista.... any suggestions would be appreciated in dealing with this.

Best regards,

Krzysztof Sakrejda-Leavitt

Krzysztof Sakrejda-Leavitt

Organismic and Evolutionary Biology