[R-sig-DB] [R] RMySQL crashes R / incompatible MySQL 5.1 client libraries / vista solution

Krzysztof Sakrejda krzy@zto|@@@krejd@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Jan 23 12:19:42 CET 2009

Further searching on R-help and R-sig-db shows that the problem is the MySQL
client libraries in the 5.1 series which cause R/RMySQL to crash.  I wanted
to keep the 5.1 server on my machine, but the 5.0 client libraries will
happily coexist with it:

- Download the current 5.0 series "essentials" package client/C libraries
for _32-bit_. (Still 5.0.67)
- Do custom install, install only client/C libraries, don't install the
server unless you know you want it.
- Set MySQL_HOME, note that the path has to be to the 32-bit version of the
MySQL client libraries under Vista, thus the extra (x86):
Sys.setenv(MYSQL_HOME="C:/Program Files (x86)/MySQL/MySQL Server 5.0")

Apologies for the earlier email, I did not realize it was the same old
problem.

Best,

Krzysztof