[R-sig-DB] [R] [R-pkgs] New package RPostgreSQL 0.1.0

Fri Oct 17 14:17:03 CEST 2008

On 17 October 2008 at 12:42, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
| Following up the Windows point on a specialized list (R-sig-db), I was
| able to get this to build with
|
| setenv PG_HOME D:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.3
|
| and a src/Makevars.win containing
|
| PKG_CPPFLAGS=-I"$(PG_HOME)"/include
| PKG_LIBS=-L"$(PG_HOME)"/lib -lpq

Thank you very much!

I also learned from Jan that the simple (but too simple) configure.in that
avoids pg_config (which somehow wasn't in the path on Sameer's FC machine)
leads to malfunction on OS X, so I have to fix that too.

Do your FC / RH system all have pg_config in the path ?

| The problem is that you do need a fairly complete Windows install of
| PostgreSQL, and I had to go back and add the development files.

Right. I guess I need to document that. Exactly what file did you fetch?

| Then you will need libpq.dll in your path: that is in (PG_HOME/bin). The
| tests/*.R did not work, but that's a permissions issue (as for me on
| Linux) and I needed to specify user="postgresql" and password="...".
| Then minimal tests worked suitably.

Because we cannot assume a Pg backend to be present and to be configured, we
cannot run tests automagically. See inst/devTests in the sources, or
devTests/ in the installed package for some more tests -- not the most
refined set, but it grew as we grew the package.

| I'll put a Windows binary on CRAN extras, at least for now.

Many thanks for that, and thanks also for following up on r-sig-db!

Dirk