[R-sig-DB] [R] [R-pkgs] New package RPostgreSQL 0.1.0

Prof Brian Ripley r|p|ey @end|ng |rom @t@t@@ox@@c@uk
Fri Oct 17 14:44:58 CEST 2008

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> On 17 October 2008 at 12:42, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
> | Following up the Windows point on a specialized list (R-sig-db), I was
> | able to get this to build with
> |
> | setenv PG_HOME D:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.3
> |
> | and a src/Makevars.win containing
> |
> | PKG_CPPFLAGS=-I"$(PG_HOME)"/include
> | PKG_LIBS=-L"$(PG_HOME)"/lib -lpq
>
> Thank you very much!
>
> I also learned from Jan that the simple (but too simple) configure.in that
> avoids pg_config (which somehow wasn't in the path on Sameer's FC machine)
> leads to malfunction on OS X, so I have to fix that too.
>
> Do your FC / RH system all have pg_config in the path ?

Those which have development files on.  (We have some production
PostgreSQL systems without it, since the CMS for our websites runs on
PostgreSQL.)

gannet% whereis pg_config
pg_config: /usr/bin/pg_config /usr/include/pg_config.h
/usr/share/man/man1/pg_config.1.gz
gannet% rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/bin/pg_config
postgresql-devel-8.2.10-1.fc8

so it is part of the -devel RPM as one might expect from RH.

> | The problem is that you do need a fairly complete Windows install of
> | PostgreSQL, and I had to go back and add the development files.
>
> Right. I guess I need to document that. Exactly what file did you fetch?

It's part of the standard .msi installer, but you have to select
non-default options, the Development group (only to do a source build of
RPostgreSQL, as far as I can tell).  It *should* be easy to go back and
add those options, but on my box the installation path had been lost so I
actually had to uninstall and reinstall.

> | Then you will need libpq.dll in your path: that is in (PG_HOME/bin). The
> | tests/*.R did not work, but that's a permissions issue (as for me on
> | Linux) and I needed to specify user="postgresql" and password="...".
> | Then minimal tests worked suitably.
>
> Because we cannot assume a Pg backend to be present and to be configured, we
> cannot run tests automagically.

Sure, but even if it is, a standard setup (even on Windows) will require
both a user and a password (and the only user you can guarantee is present
is "postgresql").  I was just warning people that failure is expected.