[R-sig-DB] DBI:dbConnect () inherited method error for RMySQL v 0.5-11 driver

David James d@j025 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Jun 1 23:24:38 CEST 2007

Hi Chris,

The message seems to indicate a S4 dispatching error from the generic
function dbConnect when given a drv = "MySQLConnection" and not
with the mysql libraries themselves.   The idiom that you're using is widely
used, so I cannot see why it would fail, so I would try
(1)  what's the output of
     summary(drv, verbose = TRUE)
     (you should see a full description of the MySQLDriver object)
(2)  try other dbConnect methods, namely
      con <- dbConnect("MySQL")
      con <- dbConnect(MySQL())
(3) What do you see if you type
      getMethods("dbConnect")