[R-sig-DB] DBI:dbConnect () inherited method error for RMySQL v 0.5-11 driver

Chris Cotsapas chr|@c @end|ng |rom chgr@mgh@h@rv@rd@edu
Sun Jun 3 21:53:08 CEST 2007

Hi David, thanks for your response:

David James wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> The message seems to indicate a S4 dispatching error from the generic
> function dbConnect when given a drv = "MySQLConnection" and not
> with the mysql libraries themselves.   The idiom that you're using is
> widely
> used, so I cannot see why it would fail, so I would try
> (1)  what's the output of
>     summary(drv, verbose = TRUE)
>     (you should see a full description of the MySQLDriver object)

> summary(drv, verbose = TRUE)
Error in function (classes, fdef, mtable)  :
         unable to find an inherited method for function "dbGetInfo",
for signatu re "MySQLDriver"

> (2)  try other dbConnect methods, namely
>      con <- dbConnect("MySQL")
>      con <- dbConnect(MySQL())

> con <- dbConnect("MySQL")
Error in function (classes, fdef, mtable)  :
         unable to find an inherited method for function "dbConnect",
for signatu re "character"
> con <- dbConnect(MySQL())
Error in function (classes, fdef, mtable)  :
         unable to find an inherited method for function "dbConnect",
for signatu re "MySQLDriver"
In addition: Warning message:
RS-DBI driver warning: (MySQL mismatch between compiled version 5.0.19
and runti me version 5.0.22)

> (3) What do you see if you type
>      getMethods("dbConnect")

> getMethods("dbConnect")
An object of class “MethodsList”
Slot "methods":
list()

Slot "argument":
drv

Slot "allMethods":
list()

This looks telling - there seem to be no methods associated with dbConnect?

Thanks!

Chris

--
Chris Cotsapas, PhD

Research Associate
Center for Human Genetic Research,
Massachusetts General Hospital
and
Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT

A: 185 Cambridge St CPZN 6818, Boston, MA, 02114
P: 1 617 643 1634 (MGH)/ 1 617 324 7176 (Broad)