[R-sig-DB] PostgreSQL

Tim Keitt tke|tt @end|ng |rom m@||@utex@@@edu
Wed Sep 7 16:27:53 CEST 2005

These are the reasons I no longer maintain the package. Everyone's setup
is completely different. I did get the postgresql folks to implement the
pg_config command to make this easier. What is the output of "pg_config
--configure"?

THK

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 21:07 -1000, Tom Dye wrote:
> Aloha Joe,
>
> It is really good of you to stick with this.  libpq is where it should
> be, I think:
>
> /usr/local/pgsql/lib tomdye$ ll libpq*
> -rw-r--r--  1 tomdye  tomdye  161792  3 May  2004 libpq.a
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 tomdye  tomdye      12 26 Dec  2004 libpq.so@ ->
> libpq.so.3.1
> lrwxr-xr-x  1 tomdye  tomdye      12 26 Dec  2004 libpq.so.3@ ->
> libpq.so.3.1
> -rwxr-xr-x  1 tomdye  tomdye   90812  3 May  2004 libpq.so.3.1*
>
> I don't know what this line of the error message means:
> checking for PQconnectdb in -lpq... no
>
> Could it be that my libpq is missing something that RdbiPgSQL needs?
>
> Tom
>
> On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Joe Conway wrote:
>
> > Tom Dye wrote:
> >>
> >> RdbiPgSQL is available as source, and even with
> >> export PG_LIB_DIR=/usr/local/pgsql/lib/ and
> >> export PG_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/local/pgsql/include/
> >> fails to install with the following messages:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> >> I could not find your PostgreSQL client libraries!
> >> Use --with-pgsql-libraries=PATH; if running R's INSTALL,
> >> use --configure-args='--with-pgsql-libraries=PATH'; or
> >> set PG_LIB_DIR in your environment to the library path,
> >> and rerun the configure/install.
> >>
> >> ERROR: configuration failed for package 'RdbiPgSQL'
> >
> > Is libpq.so really in /usr/local/pgsql/lib (R doesn't think so)? If not, find
> > it, and point PG_LIB_DIR to that location. Unfortunately I can't really help
> > you in terms of finding where the Postgres client libraries are located on a
> > Mac. You may have a similar issue with PG_INCLUDE_DIR.
> >
> > Joe
> >

> Thomas S. Dye, Ph.D.
> T. S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists, Inc.
> 735 Bishop Street, Suite 315
> Honolulu, Hawai`i 96813
> Voice (808) 387-9352
> Fax (808) 529-0884
> http://www.tsdye.com

Timothy H. Keitt                 University of Texas
Integrative Biology                        at Austin
http://www.keittlab.org/