[R-sig-DB] PostgreSQL

Tom Dye t@d @end|ng |rom t@dye@com
Wed Sep 7 09:07:15 CEST 2005

Aloha Joe,

It is really good of you to stick with this.  libpq is where it should
be, I think:

/usr/local/pgsql/lib tomdye$ ll libpq*
-rw-r--r--  1 tomdye  tomdye  161792  3 May  2004 libpq.a
lrwxr-xr-x  1 tomdye  tomdye      12 26 Dec  2004 libpq.so@ ->
libpq.so.3.1
lrwxr-xr-x  1 tomdye  tomdye      12 26 Dec  2004 libpq.so.3@ ->
libpq.so.3.1
-rwxr-xr-x  1 tomdye  tomdye   90812  3 May  2004 libpq.so.3.1*

I don't know what this line of the error message means:
checking for PQconnectdb in -lpq... no

Could it be that my libpq is missing something that RdbiPgSQL needs?

Tom

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Joe Conway wrote:

> Tom Dye wrote:
>>
>> RdbiPgSQL is available as source, and even with
>> export PG_LIB_DIR=/usr/local/pgsql/lib/ and
>> export PG_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/local/pgsql/include/
>> fails to install with the following messages:
>
> [snip]
>
>> I could not find your PostgreSQL client libraries!
>> Use --with-pgsql-libraries=PATH; if running R's INSTALL,
>> use --configure-args='--with-pgsql-libraries=PATH'; or
>> set PG_LIB_DIR in your environment to the library path,
>> and rerun the configure/install.
>>
>> ERROR: configuration failed for package 'RdbiPgSQL'
>
> Is libpq.so really in /usr/local/pgsql/lib (R doesn't think so)? If not, find
> it, and point PG_LIB_DIR to that location. Unfortunately I can't really help
> you in terms of finding where the Postgres client libraries are located on a
> Mac. You may have a similar issue with PG_INCLUDE_DIR.
>
> Joe

Thomas S. Dye, Ph.D.
T. S. Dye & Colleagues, Archaeologists, Inc.
735 Bishop Street, Suite 315
Honolulu, Hawai`i 96813
Voice (808) 387-9352
Fax (808) 529-0884