[R-sig-DB] trouble with R postgreSQL

Prof Brian Ripley r|p|ey @end|ng |rom @t@t@@ox@@c@uk
Thu May 8 18:40:58 CEST 2003

On Thu, 8 May 2003, jobst landgrebe wrote:

> since I installed R 1.7.0 on my machines, the interface to postgreSQL does not
> work anymore.  Till now, I used RPgSQL, but because it stopped working,
I tried
> Rdbi.PgSQL and DBI, which were both installed easily but did not work:
>
> Rdbi.PgSQL could not be loaded via library()
> > library(Rdbi.PgSQL)
> Error in firstlib(which.lib.loc, package) :
>         Could not load package Rdbi
> In addition: Warning message:
> There is no package called 'Rdbi' in: library(package, character.only = TRUE,
> logical = TRUE, warn.conflicts = warn.conflicts,
> Error in library(Rdbi.PgSQL) : .First.lib failed

You do need to install Rdbi *as well*, as the error messaage says:
and I think Rdbi is obselete.

> And DBI did not allow loading of a postgreSQL driver:
>
>  > dbDriver("PostgreSQL")
> Error in do.call(as.character(drvName), list(...)) :
>         couldn't find function "PostgreSQL"

DBI requires another package to provide a driver, and you didn't install
one (and AFAIK there is none for PostgreSQL).

> Can anyone help me to get to work one of the interfaces with R version 1.7.0?
> I have postgreSQL 7.2

Well, you could ask their authors: except for DBI (which needs a backend)
none of these have current supported versions on CRAN.

I can point out that RODBC does work with PostgreSQL 7.2 and R 1.7.0
provided you get a working ODBC driver: see the notes in the RODBC
sources.

--
Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley using stats.ox.ac.uk