[R-sig-DB] Re: Rdbi package [forwarded msg]

Kurt Hornik Kurt@Horn|k @end|ng |rom c|@tuw|en@@c@@t
Sun Sep 30 11:58:01 CEST 2001

>> Hi,

>> We did start an informal discussion back in April, right after Tim
>> submitted his proposal.  I think that we agreed that writing some
>> kind of draft "request for comments" (RFC) based on his initial Rdbi
>> was a good idea.  At the time, Brian correctly pointed out that we
>> had no framework for discussion, and that there were many other
>> pressing issues that came up at the Vienna conference requiring
>> attention for the members of the r-core group.  Since then, a
>> lot of good things have happened: Martin has setup the R-SIG-DB,
>> and versions 1.3.0 and 1.3.1 have been released (among other nice
>> things).  I'd agree with Kurt that it's probably a good time to
>> get back to Tim's proposal.

>> Is there a consensus that an RFC based on the Rdbi is the next
>> logical step?

> I think so.  Otoh one could argue that Tim's package *is* the RFC.
> Which is what I meant by de facto standard.

I have not seen any followup on this for almost a month.

Hence, I assume that everyone is happy with the new design, and suggest
to move Tim's package from contrib/Devel to contrib.

-k