[R-pkg-devel] Troubleshooting Winbuilder Run Timeouts

Thu Dec 7 11:45:09 CET 2023

On Tue, 5 Dec 2023 17:16:37 -0500
Andrew Robbins via R-package-devel <r-package-devel using r-project.org>
wrote:

> Every time, it reports a runtime of zero seconds for INMF res1

I get exactly 0 seconds for both res1 and res2 on both my Windows
machines and on my Linux machine. I had discounted that as an integer
type used somewhere for elapsed time. Is that (exactly 0 seconds and an
objective value of 44244.4) supposed to indicate a problem?

(On my Linux machine, I had to crudely hack in linking with -lstdc++fs
because some of the dependencies of RcppPlanc.so didn't pick it up
automatically.)

> and hangs/is killed on initiation of INMF res2 before the
> initialization of RcppProgress.

Can we eliminate it running out of time? On my Windows 10 LTSC machine
(AMD Ryzen 5 2400G from 2018, SATA SSD, nothing else going on at the
time) the complete R CMD check takes slightly more than 10.5 minutes.
An R-release check running on an Intel Xeon E5-2680 from 2016 with
other checks going on at the same time could plausibly take more than 20
minutes and get terminated [1], with some of the buffered output
never reaching the RcppPlanc-Ex.Rout file... but then it happens on a
much faster R-devel checking machine [2], which runs on an AMD EPYC
7443, and we never see any differences in the output. Right?

--
Best regards,
Ivan

[1]