[R-pkg-devel] How to fix Archived Package Rpdb?

Uwe Ligges ||gge@ @end|ng |rom @t@t|@t|k@tu-dortmund@de
Tue Sep 12 15:02:25 CEST 2023

On 09.09.2023 20:15, Leonard Mada via R-package-devel wrote:
> Thank you very much for this help.
>

> 1.) I am a little bit unsure about the LICENSE file - see below (in-text).
>

> 2.) There is a new error in the meantime:
>
> - the check works on Windows, but fails everywhere else with:
>
> Warning: Found the following significant warnings:
>     Warning: 'rgl.init' failed, running with 'rgl.useNULL = TRUE'.

On non Windows systems, You cannot use rgl if you do not have any X11
available.
Support for Unix alikes is optional, so in packages X11() should be used
conditionally after checking capabilities("X11").

> Googling the web was not very informative either: it mentions something
> about quartz device - but I am uncertain what to do.
 >

> On 9/8/2023 6:59 PM, Hadley Wickham wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 8, 2023 at 6:02 AM Leonard Mada via R-package-devel
>> <r-package-devel using r-project.org>  wrote:
>>> Dear Members,
>>>
>>> I would like to reanimate the archived package Rpdb:
>>> https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/Rpdb/index.html
>>>
>>> [...]
>>> 2.b.) Description file
>>> - I left the original author as the author (with the provided e-mail
>>> address): should I delete this email?
>> It probably doesn't matter than much either way, but since the author
>> doesn't appear to respond to emails to that address, I personally
>> would lean towards deleting it.

Do *not* delete any authours/copyright holders.

>>> - I have added myself as maintainer; [...]
>>> - updated the licence to GPL v3: the original does not specify any
>>> version number;
>>>

>>> Is there anything else that needs to be done?
>> There are at least three 3 R CMD check failures you need to address:
>>
>> * [...]
>>
>> * You need to add LICENSE to .Rbuildignore, or and IMO better, delete
>> that file and use usethis::use_gpl3_license() to the license in
>> markdown form, and correctly ignored for CRAN submission
>

> If I understand correctly:
>
> - delete the "LICENSE" file and use usethis::use_gpl3_license(), which
> adds the "LICENSE.md" file;
>
> - should I also add some code to the DESCRIPTION file?

LICENSE: GPL-3

in the DESCRIPTION should be fine, and no license file unless you want
to add additional restrictions that are permitted by GPL-3 such as
attribution requirements.

No idea what usethis::use_gpl3_license() does.

Best,
Uwe Ligges