[R-pkg-devel] How to fix Archived Package Rpdb?

Hadley Wickham h@w|ckh@m @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Sep 8 17:59:35 CEST 2023

On Fri, Sep 8, 2023 at 6:02 AM Leonard Mada via R-package-devel
<r-package-devel using r-project.org> wrote:

> Dear Members,
>
> I would like to reanimate the archived package Rpdb:
> https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/Rpdb/index.html
>
> 1.) I have tried to contact the original author by email, but got no
> response.
>
> 2.) New Repository on GitHub
> I have copied the existing code to a new repository on GitHub:
> https://github.com/discoleo/Rpdb
>
> - fixed the use of deprecated functions (rgl);
> - fixed some bug with Roxygen2;
> - I hope that all errors are now fixed;
>
> 2.b.) Description file
> - I left the original author as the author (with the provided e-mail
> address): should I delete this email?

It probably doesn't matter than much either way, but since the author
doesn't appear to respond to emails to that address, I personally
would lean towards deleting it.

> - I have added myself as maintainer;
> - I have increased the last digit of the version number;
> - I have added links to this new GitHub repository: I did not find any
> other links in the previous version (except to the pdb-format);
> - updated the licence to GPL v3: the original does not specify any
> version number;
>

> Is there anything else that needs to be done?

There are at least three 3 R CMD check failures you need to address:

* The Authors using R field in DESCRIPTION is incorrectly formed, you need
something like this:
    c(
      person("Leonard", "Mada", email = "leo.mada using syonic.eu", role = c("cre")),
      person("Julien", "Idé", role = c("aut"))
    )

* You need to add LICENSE to .Rbuildignore, or and IMO better, delete
that file and use usethis::use_gpl3_license() to the license in
markdown form, and correctly ignored for CRAN submission

* Many examples use `\%in\%` instead of `%in%.

To make these sorts of problems easier to spot in the future I'd
suggest setting up a GitHub action to automatically run R CMD check
every time you push to GitHub. One easy way to do that is to run
usethis::use_github_action("check-standard").

Hadley

--
http://hadley.nz