[R-pkg-devel] Re-building vignettes had CPU time 9.2 times elapsed time

Sat Aug 26 00:45:45 CEST 2023

On 25/08/2023 6:13 p.m., Toby Hocking wrote:
> Thanks Dirk. I agree.
> data.table is not in a situation to update very soon, so the easiest
> solution for the R community would be for CRAN to set OMP_THREAD_LIMIT
> to 2 on the Windows and Debian machines doing this test.
> Otherwise the 1400+ packages with hard dependencies on data.table will
> each have to implement custom logic to limit threads to 2.

That doesn't follow.  data.table could update soon even if that wasn't
their intention:  just include bug fixes and set the default
OMP_THREAD_LIMIT to 2 in data.table.

The real problem is that there are two stubborn groups opposing each
other:  the data.table developers and the CRAN maintainers.  The former
think users should by default dedicate their whole machine to
data.table.  The latter think users should opt in to do that.

Duncan Murdoch