[R-pkg-devel] Warning... unable to translate 'Ekstr<f8>m' to a wide string; Error... input string 1 is invalid

Spencer Graves @pencer@gr@ve@ @end|ng |rom e||ect|vede|en@e@org
Tue Jul 19 18:38:12 CEST 2022

Hi, Tomas:

On 7/19/22 2:20 AM, Tomas Kalibera wrote:

> On 7/19/22 08:37, Spencer Graves wrote:
>> Hello:
>>

>>       What's the recommended fix for "Warning in gsub(gsLi$pattern,
>> gsLi$replacement, xo) : unable to translate 'Ekstr<f8>m' to a wide
>> string; Error in gsub(gsLi$pattern, gsLi$replacement, xo) : input
>> string 1 is invalid"?
>>

>>       This is in:
>>

>> https://github.com/sbgraves237/Ecfun/blob/master/man/subNonStandardCharacters.Rd
>>

>>       R-devel is now rejecting some non-ASCII characters that it
>> previously accepted;  see below.
>
> Please see
> https://blog.r-project.org/2022/06/27/why-to-avoid-%5Cx-in-regular-expressions
>

> Looking at the code I guess you should change the strings in icx to use
> \u escapes instead of \x. The use of \x as it is there was probably
> correct when the code was ran in Latin-1 encoding, but not in other
> encodings. Using \u would make it portable. Feel free to ask more if my
> guess is wrong and reading the blog post doesn't help.

	  "subNonStandardCharacters.Rd" copies examples from:

https://www.rdocumentation.org/packages/base/versions/3.6.2/topics/iconv

	  This file still contains "\x" in 5 places.  What's the recommended
fix?  Replace "\x" with "\u00" everyplace?

	  I could try that, but I don't know if I have access to platforms that
would tell me if I fixed it or not ;-)

	  Thanks very much.
	  Spencer Graves