[R-pkg-devel] Warning... unable to translate 'Ekstr<f8>m' to a wide string; Error... input string 1 is invalid

Bill Dunlap w||||@mwdun|@p @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Jul 19 19:10:29 CEST 2022

Have you tried changing the \x's in that file with \u's?

> qx <- c("\xf6", "\xf8", "\xdf", "\xfc")
> Encoding(qx) <- "latin1"
> qu <- c("\uf6", "\uf8", "\udf", "\ufc")
> Encoding(qu)
[1] "UTF-8" "UTF-8" "UTF-8" "UTF-8"
> qx == qu
[1] TRUE TRUE TRUE TRUE

(charToRaw shows that qu and qx are not byte-for-byte identical: '=='
coerces the latin1 strings to utf-8.)

-Bill