[R-pkg-devel] Warning... unable to translate 'Ekstr<f8>m' to a wide string; Error... input string 1 is invalid

Tomas Kalibera tom@@@k@||ber@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Jul 19 09:20:15 CEST 2022

On 7/19/22 08:37, Spencer Graves wrote:
> Hello:
>

>       What's the recommended fix for "Warning in gsub(gsLi$pattern,
> gsLi$replacement, xo) : unable to translate 'Ekstr<f8>m' to a wide
> string; Error in gsub(gsLi$pattern, gsLi$replacement, xo) : input
> string 1 is invalid"?
>

>       This is in:
>

> https://github.com/sbgraves237/Ecfun/blob/master/man/subNonStandardCharacters.Rd
>

>       R-devel is now rejecting some non-ASCII characters that it
> previously accepted;  see below.

Please see
https://blog.r-project.org/2022/06/27/why-to-avoid-%5Cx-in-regular-expressions

Looking at the code I guess you should change the strings in icx to use
\u escapes instead of \x. The use of \x as it is there was probably
correct when the code was ran in Latin-1 encoding, but not in other
encodings. Using \u would make it portable. Feel free to ask more if my
guess is wrong and reading the blog post doesn't help.

Best
Tomas