[R-pkg-devel] Warning with R Build tools during CRAN check but not with local installation

James Martindale (Cefas) j@me@@m@rt|nd@|e @end|ng |rom ce|@@@co@uk
Wed May 4 14:38:59 CEST 2022

Thanks for this, the problem remains when I get rid of the new Stan file and rebuild, so it seems like that was a red herring. I've updated to the latest version of R, RStudio, RTools and am still getting the same error message. This is true for `check_win_devel()`, `check_win_release()`, `check_win_oldrelease()` and `check_rhub()`. Any further ideas how I might debug this?

-----Original Message-----
From: Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan using gmail.com>
Sent: 25 April 2022 14:29
To: James Martindale (Cefas) <james.martindale using cefas.co.uk>; r-package-devel using r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R-pkg-devel] Warning with R Build tools during CRAN check but not with local installation

WARNING - This email originated from outside of the organisation. Do not click links , forward or open attachments unless you recognise the sender and have established the content is safe.

On 25/04/2022 5:36 a.m., James Martindale (Cefas) via R-package-devel wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> I am trying to release an `R` package to CRAN that contains some compiled C++ code and Stan models. Since adding a new Stan file to the package, I now get the following issue whenever I run `devtools::check_rhub()` or `devtools::check_win_devel()`:
>

> * checking whether package 'EcoEnsemble' can be installed ... WARNING
> Found the following significant warnings:
>    WARNING: The tools required to build C++ code for R were not found.
>
> This warning does *not* appear when I install the package locally and did not appear in the `r_hub`/`win_devel` checks in a previous version of the package that did not include this additional Stan file. There is nothing unusual about this Stan model that would lead it to cause issues like this.
>
> Searching for this error suggests that this is an issue with the installation of RTools, but since this is not created in the local installation I am very confused. What could be the culprit here / how would I go about debugging this issue?

Just to be clear:  if you remove that file, does the error go away?
There was a change to the R version last week, so the issue might be the new version of R-devel, not the change you made to your package.

Duncan Murdoch
 This email and any attachments are intended for the named recipient only. Its unauthorised use, distribution, disclosure, storage or copying is not permitted. If you have received it in error, please destroy all copies and notify the sender. In messages of a non-business nature, the views and opinions expressed are the author's own and do not necessarily reflect those of Cefas. Communications on Cefas’ computer systems may be monitored and/or recorded to secure the effective operation of the system and for other lawful purposes. All messages sent and received by the Centre for Environment, Fisheries and Aquaculture Science may be monitored in line with relevant UK legislation . <https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/centre-for-environment-fisheries-and-aquaculture-science/about/personal-information-charter>