[R-pkg-devel] Warning with R Build tools during CRAN check but not with local installation

Mon Apr 25 15:29:13 CEST 2022

On 25/04/2022 5:36 a.m., James Martindale (Cefas) via R-package-devel wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> I am trying to release an `R` package to CRAN that contains some compiled C++ code and Stan models. Since adding a new Stan file to the package, I now get the following issue whenever I run `devtools::check_rhub()` or `devtools::check_win_devel()`:
>

> * checking whether package 'EcoEnsemble' can be installed ... WARNING
> Found the following significant warnings:
>    WARNING: The tools required to build C++ code for R were not found.
>
> This warning does *not* appear when I install the package locally and did not appear in the `r_hub`/`win_devel` checks in a previous version of the package that did not include this additional Stan file. There is nothing unusual about this Stan model that would lead it to cause issues like this.
>
> Searching for this error suggests that this is an issue with the installation of RTools, but since this is not created in the local installation I am very confused. What could be the culprit here / how would I go about debugging this issue?

Just to be clear:  if you remove that file, does the error go away?
There was a change to the R version last week, so the issue might be the
new version of R-devel, not the change you made to your package.