[R-pkg-devel] Need advice CRAN package check results

Sat Apr 30 19:58:57 CEST 2022

On 30/04/2022 12:57 p.m., Matthias Gondan wrote:
> Dear developers,
>
> I have recently submitted my first r package, and bear with me, I am still learning things. Most importantly, there is a page with the CRAN package checks,
>
> https://cran.rstudio.com/web/checks/check_results_rolog.html
>
> The package check for r-release-macos-arm64 fails, in two places.
>
> • The one in the table refers to Version 0.9, that one is less interesting because I have already fixed it. Well, minor question, will the version numbers for these tests increase automatically?

You manually change the version number of your package, and the version
number in the check table shows which version was tested.  New
submissions won't show up there until they are accepted.

Occasionally a new version could be accepted but fail to build on some
platforms; in that case the version number for that platform won't be
updated.  I think it's also possible for CRAN maintainers to manually
skip checks if they want.

> • More importantly, there are two links called M1mac below the table, „Additional issues“. They refer to the current version of the package, 0.9.2. The left link points to https://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/bdr/M1mac/rolog.log, and there is an error message at 69% that needs to be fixed somehow. Note that the message is not really helpful (clang: error: unable to execute command: Abort trap: 6, clang: error: clang frontend command failed due to signal)

That looks like clang crashed.  If you can't duplicate it locally, it
will be hard to fix.

At the start of your log, there were these messages:

CMake Warning at cmake/port/Darwin.cmake:39 (message):
   Could not find Macport or Homebrew to provide dependencies 		 trying to
   configure with default search paths

I would try to test on a system that doesn't have Macport or Homebrew
installed.

> To investigate this in more detail, I tried the mac-builder service, but the build doesn’t fail there: https://mac.r-project.org/macbuilder/results/1651148567-352c2175cfbba55d/. I think this will be deleted soon, so this one is more recent, with only little changes: https://mac.r-project.org/macbuilder/results/1651332515-22f4e1b1c9492557/
>
> Does anyone have a good idea how to move on? I don’t have a Mac M1 at hand…

I think you'll need to find one to test on.  I'm not sure if Github
offers that platform for running Github actions, but I imagine there's
one somewhere or other.