[R-pkg-devel] GitHub Action failed re-building 'sos.Rnw'

Sun May 23 11:43:06 CEST 2021

On 22/05/2021 10:05 p.m., Spencer Graves wrote:
> Hello:
>

> 	  What do you suggest I do to enable GitHub Action to process "sos.Rnw"
> properly?
>

> 	  The development version of my "sos" package passes "R CMD check" on
> my Mac but fails in all four platforms under GitHub Action on
>

> https://github.com/sbgraves237/sos
>

> 	  The error messages on macOS and Ubuntu release and devel all seems
> the same:
>

> 		    * Error: processing vignette 'sos.Rnw' failed with diagnostics:
> Running 'texi2dvi' on 'sos.tex' failed.  Messages: You don't have a
> working TeX binary (tex) installed anywhere in your PATH, and texi2dvi
> cannot proceed without one.
>

> 	  The error message under Windows seemed crudely similar but different:
>

> 		    * Error: processing vignette 'sos.Rnw' failed with diagnostics:
> pdflatex is not available
>

> 	  What do you suggest?

The virtual machines that run Github actions have lots of tools
installed, but apparently not LaTeX.  So you need to figure out the
"step" to install it.  I'm not currently using Rnw with Github actions,
but by looking at the README for https://github.com/r-lib/actions, I'm
pretty sure all you need is to add

   - uses: r-lib/actions/setup-tinytex using v1

somewhere after

   - uses: actions/checkout using master